February is International Boost Your Self-Esteem Month
Insights shared from Vantage Fit
The month of February is devoted to raising and maintaining positive mental health. This not only a good practice, but it is also a defense against the sometimes dreary, cold days and the limited activity we face being cooped up in the house. Studies have shown that social media has also made it harder for many of us to feel like they are good enough, because of people constantly comparing themselves to each other. This can create unattainable goals for many people and result in lowered self-esteem.
Having a high self-esteem is a good practice to maintain good general health and can be a preventative measure for debilitating mental health disorders. In our current society, it is easy to fall into the trap of constantly comparing ourselves to those around us and trying to constantly portray the best versions of ourselves. Given the competition for self-perfection, it is important for you to take a step back to try to understand yourselve and who you are. This can boost your own self-esteem and help you feel more comfortable in your own skin.
Factors That Can Derail your Self-Esteem
- Experiencing prejudices or discrimination
- Being bullied or mocked
- Losing something that holds importance in your life
- Problems or stress
- Poor mental health or physical health
- Relationship problems
- Low acceptance of your body image
- Feeling “outside” a circle of friends or co-workers
It Starts With Self Care
Self-care is an integral part of maintaining your own self-esteem. Exercising regularly, making sure you are being healthy, eating right and maintaining your favorite hobbies can be part of a healthy lifestyle. You will be more prepared to take on the challenges in life the healthier and more cared for you are. Keeping yourself at your best in terms of health can only add to your mental well-being.
6 Ways to Boost Your Self-Esteem
1. Stop Comparing And Criticizing Yourself – The first step towards achieving higher self-esteem is accepting who you are. It starts when you stop comparing yourself with others and start lifting yourself. You can begin this self-love journey by asking yourself why others’ opinions matter to you. When you get the answer to that question, move forward by limiting your exposure to the things that trigger you or undermine your confidence. A big step is to limit your social media exposure, as things online are not as they seem. You can also start your day with positive affirmations that motivate you.
2. Think Positive – Thinking positively or having a positive outlook towards yourself and your life is one of the best ways to feel more confident. When you limit your negative thoughts, your mind will rejuvenate and contribute to your mental wellness. Writing down positive things about yourself is also a good idea. Start your day with positive quotes and affirmations to lift your mood. Remember, when your mind is at ease, you are more likely to be free of all negativity and toxins of life.
3. Start Accepting Compliments – Accept compliments you receive from others without questioning whether you’re worthy of them. Put aside your insecurities and start appreciating yourself more. Take baby steps by writing them down to look over whenever you feel low or have doubts about yourself. Celebrate your successes more often and ask others what they like about you as people will see you differently than yourself. Simple actions like eating right, laughing more and regular exercise need to bo on your list.
4. Learn To Say NO – Saying yes or agreeing to everything irrespective of your comfort is not a good habit. Try to be more assertive before deciding to do something because you are scared to stand up for yourself. Pausing and assessing the situation before saying yes gives you more control over yourself and a chance to ask yourself whether you want to do it or not. Saying no also frees you up for “me” time.
5. Recognize Your Strengths – Self-confidence leads to self-esteem, which comes from knowing that you have the knack or the ability to succeed. Recognizing your strengths and passion is a key factor in building positive self-esteem. The best approach is to break new challenges into achievable goals and moving forward step by step. Have fun and feel the positive vides.
6. Prioritize Your Health and Exercise – Prioritizing your health and exercise makes your body feel good. Practicing yoga, meditation, jogging, dancing, or any movement that moves your body, even in small amounts, makes you feel connected to your mind. Exercise releases endorphins and serotonin in your brain to help you feel calmer and more relaxed and allows you to feel more confident to make better decisions. When you are feeling healthy physically, it has a dramatic impact on your esteem and how you feel about yourself. Plus, it’s fun!
Having higher self-esteem and worth of yourself may not fix all of your problems, but it will help you sail smoothly through a life full of struggles. I will give you strength and courage to face hurdles in a better way and build your resilience to bounce back from failure without leaving you emotionally drained. Work on your self-esteem this month and let the successes carry you throughout the year.
If you are struggling with your mental health or self-esteem, please contact The LCADA Way at 440 989-4900. Talk with our intake team and get the help you need to move forward.